Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Moon-viewing with the Goons

Today I attended the staff meeting hoping that I could put in my two cents in support of having an English speech contest at Yoshino Junior High School during the school's Culture Festival. However, it turns out that such an endeavor would be only self-servicing, as in only individual students would benefit from their hard work. This was not really in line with the motives of the event, namely to have the students and their clubs shine through teamwork, primarily via the acapella competition. It got me thinking about why I wanted to hold the competition, and I suppose it could wait for another time. I've still got the rest of this contract year to think about it. Meanwhile, Mrs. Okada (the Japanese Teacher of English, or JTE, I work with at Yoshino JHS) and I will think of something for the students to produce and display at the event.

Afterwards, I came home and threw together a quick stir-fry and headed over to Claire's. There, we Goons (the nickname for the ALTs in the Yoshino-gun, or district) plus Michelle's Polish male friend ate, chatted (mostly about Polish swear words), and chilled. It's great having everyone back together again. Everyone was so over the place during the summer.

Afterwards, we headed to the nearest convenience store, grabbed snacks and made our way to this tiny bridge in Oyodo spanning the Yoshino River. The water level wasn't as high as it was during the typhoon, but the current was still pretty fast. We tried holding our breath and walking the length of the bridge, as in Spirited Away,
Source: http://www.animegalleries.net/
and I was the only person to make it half-way across. 

Here we are hanging out.



Time to study some translating and interpreting!

No comments:

Post a Comment